"happiness can be found - even in the darkest of times - if only one remembers to turn on the light."
-albus dumbledore.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

#5 - People trying to cheer you up

I know, I know. Less than a week into the blogging project and I'm already behind. But, to be fair, it's been one hell of a weekend. Yesterday (Saturday) was test day. Because the test is given on the computer, I was able to learn my score right away, which is nice, I suppose, if you're one of those people who likes to confront their fears head on. 

I didn't do as well as I'd hoped to. Out of a possible 800 points (per section) I scored 680 on verbal and 640 on math, for a combined score of 1320. I'd been hoping for at least 700 on each section, and I left the test feeling totally defeated. By the time I made it from the testing center to my car, I was in tears. The combination of disappointment about the scores and relief for being done was a little overwhelming. When I got back to my apartment, I collapsed onto the couch and spent a little while feeling sorry for myself. After about fifteen minutes, my roommate came into the living room and asked me about the scores. When I told her, she could tell I was upset, but refused to let me dwell on it. She threw a bag of potato chips (see blog #4) and a Wii remote at me, and we spent an hour or so playing Super Mario Brothers. By the time we'd surrendered to Bowser, I was feeling much better. I checked my facebook and found that another friend had sent me a link to a website claiming that my verbal score put me in the 96th percentile. He insisted that my scores were good enough to get me into any program I wanted, and at a party later that night, had several people confirm that theory. 

I don't know if my scores are good enough for the programs I want, and I don't know if my scores will go up when I take the test again next month, but I do know that I could not have made it through this weekend without the support of my friends. They're the greatest people in the world when it comes to confidence boosters, and they know exactly how to cheer me up. I'm thankful for them every single day of my life. In fact, I'm going to cut this entry short and spend some quality time with Mario and my roommate. Bowser calls!

No comments:

Post a Comment