"happiness can be found - even in the darkest of times - if only one remembers to turn on the light."
-albus dumbledore.

Monday, February 7, 2011

#17 - New Beginnings

It's been almost 3 months since I updated this blog. Pathetic, I know. I really don't have an excuse. Yes, I've been busy, and yes, the holidays were distracting, but - as my father has told me numerous times - it only takes a minute or two to write a new post. So, dear readers, I apologize. I'm sure you have all been dying of boredom without The Happy Project. I promise to get back on track.

I can make that promise because today is a Monday, and Mondays are for starting over. Anytime I start a new regime - eating healthier, working out, doing all my homework, updating my silly blog - I find myself waiting for Mondays. I don't really know why I do this. It isn't really any easier to go to the gym every day for a week starting on Monday than it is starting on Wednesday. Sometimes it's more difficult, because really, who likes Mondays? And yet here I am, resolving to update this blog every day starting today - Monday. It's a new week, a fresh start, and that's comforting to me.

This semester is my last as an undergraduate. In June I am (most likely) moving to Phoenix to start my work with Teach for America. It will be one hell of a transition. For the first time in my life, I'll have a full-time job and won't be taking classes. I'm used to living far from my parents and siblings, but I'll be leaving the friends who have become family over the last three years. I'll be moving away from a man I've fallen very deeply in love with, a man I'm anticipating having very little time to visit. I'll be living and working in a city I don't know and don't even really particularly like. I'll be a real live adult. It's a daunting prospect, and honestly I'm terrified.

But, at the same time, the thought of a new beginning - the chance to reevaluate who I am and what I want - is thrilling. I have a life in Tucson, and I will miss it more than I can say. But moving to Phoenix will give me the opportunity to start a new chapter in my life, a chapter in which our heroine sets out on her own to conquer the Big City and change the lives of her students. I don't know what moving to Phoenix will mean for my career, relationship, or sanity. But I have faith in things unseen, and in myself. I know I can handle it.

As long as school starts on a Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment