"happiness can be found - even in the darkest of times - if only one remembers to turn on the light."
-albus dumbledore.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

#16 - Getting Good News!

Yesterday, November 9th, I was invited to join the 2011 Teach For America corps in Phoenix, Arizona. It was one of the most exciting things that's happened to me in a long time. I've spent the couple of weeks neck deep in grad school applications, and honestly, I'd almost forgotten about TFA. As soon as I got the acceptance email, that changed. I've been thinking non-stop about how great this experience is going to be. It's going to be difficult - I am under no illusions about that. But I also think it's going to be a really rewarding experience. I'm very, very excited.

The great thing about getting news like this is that it makes your whole day better. Almost immediately after I found out, I went to a meeting with a professor of mine who is writing me recommendations for grad school (which I am keeping as an option on the back burner). He is a brilliant man, but cranky as hell, and I knew as soon as I handed him the list of recommendations that he would refuse to complete the ones that are online. He asked me to switch all of those to paper recs, which I can do, but will be a GIANT pain in the ass. But I was so happy about getting into TFA - so high on the thrill of being wanted - that I didn't even care. It's been like that ever since. I'm really happy, and the world looks a little bit brighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment